Ahmedabad University was established under the Gujarat Private Universities Act, of 2009. The university is a non-profit public-private partnership (PPP) university promoted by the Ahmedabad Education Society, the Gujarat Government, and corporate partners of the Society. The University Grants Commission (UGC) recognized it under Section 2(f) of the UGC Act, 1956 in 2010. The university initially operated from the offices of the Ahmedabad Education Society (AES) on Ashram Road, Ahmedabad.
The Navrangpura campus houses the headquarters of the university, the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, and the School of Management. The city campus in Paldi houses the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Commerce. In 2019, the university announced its plans to expand to a third campus in Central Business District (CBD)